Yet still, too many folks think that not voting is a great way to make a statement about the sorry state of our national politics.
At what point did we get the bright idea that we are taking control by giving it away?
How many would agree that the best way to fix a broken pipe is to do nothing about it?
Or, when something is clearly wrong with your child’s health, how many would think the best thing to do is not going to the doctor...
“These examples are irrelevant” you say; “This situation is different...the choices are so bad, I'm protesting by not voting.”
It also means that we are no longer a country run by majority rule. In fact we currently operate by minority rule since over the past 40 years the average voter turnout has been less than 50%.
When you break down these voter statistics further, it is no surprise that those who get elected are better suited for the National Enquirer than positions of national leadership:
- approximately 1/3* of the less than 50% who vote regularly do so along strict party lines regardless of the candidate’s qualifications or leadership plans
- another approximately 1/3 are undecided, usually until the last few days, and base their vote almost solely on the ever so truthful and fact-filled campaign ads they see on TV, and their vote can determine who wins…
- This means that approximately 66% of those who do vote are basing that vote not upon candidates’ track record and true leadership capabilities, but upon pure rhetoric or party affiliation
- So – the laws and priorities of the most powerful country on the planet are set by men & women who were elected by a minority of voters, 2/3 of whom chose them for reasons other than proven performance…
- This is 100% scarey….
Just as our parents before us – we Boomers are the most powerful voting block on the planet right now, and will be for years to come.
Step up and use that power regularly, by voting and encouraging your voting age children to vote; and wisely, by voting on the facts.
You have been officially alerted....
* # has been found to be greater for this Presidential election - up to almost 1/2