To have a Happy Independence Day!
(and take our quick quiz...read on!)
So...with that in mind, herein lies our tribute to the United States of America to take you into this most festive and wonderful of national holidays!
Then, after you've viewed each major benchmark of change, take our quick quiz; match the "anti" sentiment to the correct action/law named here!
July 4, 1776
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness...."
September 17, 1787
September 22, 1862
August 18, 1920
Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."
July 2, 1964
“No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were.”
Marriage is a “keystone of our social order,” Justice Kennedy said, adding that the plaintiffs in the case were seeking “equal dignity in the eyes of the law.”
Have great fun over this holiday weekend...
Happy Birthday America
Match the following "anti" sentiment to the correct issue/law/action named above:
1. "...it is unwise to risk the good we already have for the evil which may occur."
Senator J.B. Sanford
2. Clearly, some were motivated by self-interest or greed. Others believed only oligarchies of well-bred intellectuals were competent to govern a country.
3. "To drive him away, and thus deprive the South of his labor, would be absurd and monstrous as for a man to cut off his right arm, the better to enable himself to work."
Senator Stephen Douglas
4. "I find no constitutional basis for the exercise of Federal regulatory authority in either of these areas; and I believe the attempted usurpation of such power to be a grave threat to the very essence of our basic system of government, namely, that of a constitutional government in which 50 sovereign states have reserved to themselves and to the people those powers not specifically granted to the central or Federal Government."
Senator Barry Goldwater
5. "I think it's a conundrum. If we have no laws on this, people take it to one extension further, does it have to be humans, you know?"
Senator Rand Paul
6. "The rights of conscience, trial by jury, liberty of the press, all your immunities and franchises, all pretensions to human rights and privileges, are rendered insecure, if not lost, by this change..."
Patrick Henry, Governor of Virginia
No cheating allowed as who said what gives you enough clues! Good luck!
Email us your answers